Today, I am reviewing my favorite sustainable fashion brand – The Reformation! I love the Reformation because of its style. (Finally a sustainable fashion brand that doesn’t make basic, loose-fitted clothes!!!!) Anyway, without further ado, here is today’s agenda:
- Reformation Review – Dickinson Dress
- Reformation Review – Amery Dress
- Reformation Sale
- Reformation Shopping Tips
Reformation Review – Dickinson Dress
I will give this Reformation dress an 8 out of 10.
- Pros: The Dickinson dress is extremely versatile, and it works from day to night all year around. It is also made out of viscose, making it super fast to dry, hard to wrinkle and travel-friendly.
- Cons: The material is sheer, and the v-neck cut is a little bit too low for me.
Overall, I recommend the Dickinson dress. Although it has sold out, you can find other similar wrap dresses at the Reformation below:
Made with 100% georgette fabric, this Reformation dress feels flimsy. When I pulled out this dress from the package, it looked sheer and wrinkled. But when I put it on, the light-weight material actually draped beautifully, and the color was dark enough to prevent see-through. But the material is easy to maintain, good to travel with, and cool enough for summer despite of the long sleeves.
[Updated] My size is 32D-24-34, and I usually fit size 0 or xs in many places. I ordered a size 0 for this Dickinson dress, and it fits perfectly. One draw back is that the Dickinson dress has a very low v-neck, and it is not bra-friendly. I assume that other wrap dresses in Reformation are going to have a similar fit. In my opinion, this dress as well as other wrap dresses are more suitable for people with a smaller bust. I myself wear a sticky bra underneath this dress, and sometimes the sticky bra will show. To
This Reformation dress is very travel friendly and versatile. I took the dress with me to Argentina, and I wore it from day to night to different occasions – a fancy dinner at iLatina, a night club, and a day-time sightseeing tour. Also, the material dries super fast.
Even though the Reformation’s website recommends to hand wash the dress, I have been washing it with a laundry bag in machine with cold water. Also you don’t have to iron the dress if you hang dry it right away.
This dress feels flimsy, but the shape still holds pretty well after many washes. Also the style is pretty “timeless”, considering I bought it in 2016, and the Reformation still makes dresses in this style. It doesn’t look “outdated” or “last seasoned”.
This Reformation dress is extremely versatile, and it’s suitable for many occasions from day to night all year around. Here are some outfit ideas:
- Outfit #1, Summer, day – Wear it alone with a pair of espadrilles
- Outfit #2, Spring, day – Pair it with a classic trench coat and a pair of black flats
- Outfit #3, Fall, night – Pair it with a black leather jacket and a pair of over-the-knee black boots
- Outfit #4, Winter, night – Pair it with a faux-fur coat, tights and a pair of over-the-knee black boots
- Outfit #5, Winter, day – Wear it underneath a sweater first. Then pair it with a thick pea coat, knit tights and booties.
Reformation Review – Amery DressI bought this Amery dress because I had been wanting a linen summer dress. Overall, I rate it a 6 out of 10.
- Pros: this Reformation dress has pockets!!!!
- Cons: the Amery dress wrinkles super easily, and it’s difficult to maintain a polish look. Also, the center button design makes it “difficult” to put on.
Overall, I don’t really like this Reformation dress because it wrinkles too easily. But I still want to try other linen dress from the Reformation. Here are other Reformation dresses I am drooling over:
- Cecilia Dress
- Audrey Dress (This dress is timeless! The Reformation has consistently introduced new colors in the exact same style for 3 consecutive years!)
- Pepper Dress
I am in a love-hate relationship with the fabric. This Tencel – linen hybrid fabric is very durable, breathable and travel-friendly. But this dress wrinkles super easily, and it’s driving me crazy.
I am 32D-24-34, and I got a size 0 for this Amery dress. I think it’s a bit too tight around the bust area. I went back to the store to try on a size 2, and size 2 fits so much better. *REGRET!* 🙁
The Amery dress is good for summer-time traveling because the fabric is super breathable, and the linen helps wick away body odor and sweat. It also dries fast. But I take off 3 points because the dress wrinkles super easily, and the center-button style makes it hard to take on and off.
Although the Reformation website tells you to dry clean this dress only, who has the money and the time to do that? I wash this dress with a laundry bag in cold water in machine, and then I hang dry the dress to prevent any shrinking. Obviously, the dress has shrunk a bit (not a noticeable amount), and the dark navy color has faded. But overall, you can still machine wash it. I took out 3 points because it wrinkles too easily, and I have to iron it for more formal events.
The clothes at the Reformation are expensive. Running at US$200 on average for a dress, it’s hard to convince yourself to buy from them. But the good news is, there are 3 major Reformation sale events. Remember these important dates because you do not want to miss them!
Related: Shopping Tips: 10 Ways to Resist Shopping Temptations
- Reformation’s End-of-Summer Sale. It usually happens around August and lasts for a month until things are sold out.
- Reformation’s Black Friday Sale. I believe the sale stopped right after Cyber Monday in 2016.
- Reformation’s End-of-Year Sale – In case you miss their Black Friday sale, December is your chance.
Reformation’s Shopping Tips
- Be decisive and act quick if you are on the petite side because small sizes get sold out fast.
- Buy online instead of going to the Reformation stores because you cannot return anything that you purchase in store. But you can exchange within 14 days.
I hope you find this Reformation review helpful. I have two Reformation tops, and I will be reviewing them soon. Did I miss anything? Please let me know if you have any comments below!
Smile and style on!